One of the Best Destinations for Outdoor Athletes - Moab, Utah is nestled amid the mesmerizing red rocks of Utah. Moab stands as a beacon for outdoor sports enthusiasts seeking an adrenaline-pumping escape. From heart-pounding mountain biking trails to breathtaking road and gravel rides alongside epic trail running adventures, Moab is a haven for those who crave the thrill of the great outdoors. Strambecco provides a brief guide to Moab from the perspective of an outdoor athlete. We rate the Best Destinations for Outdoor Athletes - Moab, UT, based on a mix of reputation along with the quality of professionally produced outdoor events and experiences. If you are looking for an event that showcases the best of Moab trails and roads, we have you covered. The team at Strambecco rates the best cycling and trail running events based on various factors, including reputation, route quality, location, rider feedback, and the event's or race's overall uniqueness. Strambecco does not list every event. We strive to identify and review special and noteworthy events, spanning Road, Gravel, and Mountain Bike events and races. Check out our Best in Class lists for Road, Mountain, Gravel cycling events and Trail Running events in the greater Southwest.
Mountain Biking: Trail Spotlight: Slickrock Trail Moab is globally renowned for its mountain biking, and the Slickrock Trail is the crown jewel. This challenging trail offers a surreal riding experience on slickrock sandstone, providing both technical sections and panoramic views of the surrounding red rock landscape.
Road and Gravel Riding: Route Highlight: La Sal Mountain Loop For road cyclists seeking scenic routes, the La Sal Mountain Loop offers a breathtaking journey. Starting in Moab, cyclists climb into the La Sal Mountains, enjoying alpine scenery and descents that reward the effort. Gravel enthusiasts can explore the nearby Gemini Bridges Road for a mix of challenging terrain and stunning vistas.
Trail Running: Top Pick: Amasa Back Trail Trail runners can tackle the Amasa Back Trail, providing a mix of technical terrain and jaw-dropping views of the Colorado River. The trail winds through red rock canyons, offering a challenging but rewarding experience for those seeking a trail run with a touch of Moab's unique landscape.
Hiking in National Parks: Must-Visit: Arches and Canyonlands National Parks While Moab is a mecca for mountain bikers and trail runners, hikers can explore the iconic Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. Delicate Arch Trail in Arches and Grand View Point Trail in Canyonlands are must-visit hikes, offering unforgettable vistas and encounters with unique rock formations.
- Moab Rocks:
- Date: Annually in the spring
- Description: Moab Rocks is a multi-day mountain biking stage race that traverses Moab's iconic trails. With a challenging course that includes the famed Slickrock Trail and the Whole Enchilada, participants experience the best of Moab's mountain biking while soaking in breathtaking scenery.
- Gran Fondo Moab:
- Date: Annually in the spring
- Description: Gran Fondo Moab is a road cycling event that takes participants through the stunning red rock landscapes surrounding Moab. Cyclists can choose from varying distances, each offering a unique blend of challenging climbs, smooth descents, and unparalleled scenery.
- Moab Trail Marathon:
- Date: Annually in the fall
- Description: The Moab Trail Marathon is a trail running event that showcases the rugged beauty of Moab's landscape. With challenging ascents and descents, runners experience the thrill of conquering Moab's trails, including segments along the famous Amasa Back Trail.
Accommodations & Restaraunt Options:
Moab, Utah, welcomes adventurers from around the globe with a diverse range of accommodation options that cater to every taste and budget. Whether you prefer the comfort of hotels, the coziness of vacation rentals, the immersive experience of camping, or something in between, Moab has you covered.
1. Hotels: For those seeking the convenience of amenities and a central location, Moab's hotels offer a variety of choices. From well-known chains to boutique establishments, visitors can find accommodations that suit their preferences. Some hotels boast stunning views of the surrounding red rock landscapes, providing a scenic backdrop to your stay.
2. Vacation Rentals: Vacation rentals in Moab provide a home-away-from-home experience. From cozy cabins to spacious homes, these rentals allow visitors to immerse themselves in the local community. Many rentals come fully equipped with kitchens and outdoor spaces, making them ideal for families or groups looking for a more private and personalized stay.
3. Campgrounds: For nature enthusiasts, Moab's campgrounds offer an immersive outdoor experience. Whether you prefer established campgrounds with facilities or more secluded dispersed camping, there are options for every level of camping comfort. Wake up to the sunrise over red rock formations, and enjoy the starlit sky at night—camping in Moab is a nature lover's dream.
4. Glamping: For those who desire a touch of luxury in the great outdoors, Moab provides glamping options. Glamping tents and yurts offer a unique blend of comfort and adventure, allowing guests to connect with nature while enjoying amenities like comfortable beds and private bathrooms.
5. RV Parks: Traveling in an RV? Moab's RV parks provide a convenient home base for road trippers. Many parks offer full hook-ups, Wi-Fi, and proximity to popular attractions. Enjoy the flexibility of having your accommodation on wheels while exploring the stunning landscapes of Moab.
6. Unique Accommodations: Moab also boasts unique and eclectic accommodation options, including desert airstreams, themed cabins, and off-the-grid retreats. These one-of-a-kind stays add an extra layer of charm and adventure to your Moab experience.
No matter your accommodation preference, Moab ensures a comfortable and memorable stay. From the luxury of well-appointed hotels to the simplicity of camping under the stars, the variety of options allows visitors to tailor their experience and make the most of their time in this outdoor enthusiast's paradise. Whether you're gazing at the red rocks from a cozy hotel room or stargazing by the campfire, Moab's accommodations are as diverse as the adventures that await. For the best eating options, we'd recommend starting with the Eater list.
Conclusion: Moab, Utah, stands as a playground for outdoor sports enthusiasts, offering an array of activities from mountain biking and road cycling to trail running and hiking. With iconic trails like Slickrock, scenic routes like La Sal Mountain Loop, and signature events like Moab Rocks, Gran Fondo Moab, and the Moab Trail Marathon, this red rock paradise provides an unforgettable experience for those seeking adventure, challenge, and the natural beauty of the American Southwest. Lace-up those trail shoes, pump up those bike tires, and get ready to explore the heart of outdoor excitement in Moab.