The Rocky Mountain Slam Series is a prestigious ultra-running challenge that encompasses five iconic races held in the breathtaking Rocky Mountains of North America. The series, which tests the limits of even the most seasoned runners, has a rich history and showcases some of the most awe-inspiring landscapes the region has to offer. The Rocky Mountain Slam Series originated as a way to celebrate the rugged beauty and demanding nature of the Rocky Mountains while providing a platform for ultra-runners to push their boundaries. Established over the years, it has become an esteemed accomplishment for those who seek to conquer the series’ grueling races. Strambecco profiles each event in the series.
- Bighorn 100 (Montana, June): The series kicks off with the Bighorn 100, held in the wilds of Montana in June. This challenging race covers a distance of 100 miles (160 kilometers) and takes participants through the untamed beauty of the Bighorn Mountains. Runners face steep climbs, rocky trails, and unpredictable weather conditions, making it a true test of endurance and mental fortitude.
- Hardrock 100 (Colorado, July): In July, the Hardrock 100 takes center stage in the rugged San Juan Mountains of Colorado. Known for its extreme altitude changes and technical terrain, this race is among the toughest in the world. Runners navigate through high alpine passes, steep scree fields, and remote wilderness areas, challenging their physical and mental capabilities to the utmost.
- Leadville Trail 100 (Colorado, August): Next in the series is the Leadville Trail 100, held in the historic mining town of Leadville, Colorado, in August. This race, also part of the Grand Slam of Ultrarunning, covers 100 miles (160 kilometers) across the rugged and mountainous terrain of the Colorado Rockies. Participants experience high altitudes, including a summit above 12,000 feet (3,660 meters), as they navigate through beautiful forests and scenic trails.
- Wasatch Front 100 (Utah, early September): The Wasatch Front 100, held in early September, takes runners through the stunning Wasatch Range in Utah. Known for its challenging climbs and technical descents, this race covers 100 miles (160 kilometers) of varied terrain. Participants experience breathtaking vistas, deep canyons, and rocky ridgelines, testing their endurance and perseverance in the rugged beauty of the Wasatch Mountains.
- Bear 100 (Utah, late September): The Bear 100, held in late September, concludes the Rocky Mountain Slam Series. Taking place in the mountains of northern Utah and southeastern Idaho, this race covers a distance of 100 miles (160 kilometers). Runners navigate through dense forests, rugged trails, and steep climbs, making it a demanding and memorable experience in the final leg of the series.
Runners who complete all four of five races within a specified time frame earn the distinction of completing the Rocky Mountain Slam Series. This achievement showcases their exceptional endurance, resilience, and ability to conquer some of the most challenging ultra-running events in the Rocky Mountains.
The Rocky Mountain Slam Series is a true testament to the indomitable spirit of ultra-runners, and it has rightfully earned its place as one of the most respected and sought-after accomplishments in the world of ultra-running.
The Bighorn Trail Run in Wyoming is an epic endurance race as technical as beautiful. It is a Rocky Mountain Slam event and a qualifier for the UTMB World Series. The Bighorn Mountain Trail 100 crosses through the Little Bighorn and Tongue River areas of the Bighorn National Forest. Participants have 34 hours to navigate…
The Hardrock 100 Endurance Run is an ultramarathon of 102.5 miles in length, plus 33,197 feet of climb and 33,197 feet of descent for a total elevation change of 66,394 feet, at an average elevation of over 11,000 feet. This course offers a graduate-level challenge for endurance runs and is considered one of the Best…
The Bear 100 Endurance Run joins the ranks of some of the world's most challenging and scenic trail races, and is one that the team at Strambecco considers to be one of the Best Trail Running Events in the Rockies. The prestigious event is also a Western States 100 and Hardrock 100 Qualifier, along with…