Loading Events

All Events »

Event Series Event Series: Oregon Triple Crown Series

Oregon Coast Gravel Epic

May 6

cyclists at oregon coast gravel epic

The Oregon Coast Gravel Epic is the first leg in the five-event Oregon Triple Crown Series of gravel, produced by Mudslinger Events.  Also known as the "Spring Classic" of the Pacific Northwest, the route consists of 65% pure logging roads unpaved and the other 35% smooth pavement left over from decades of active logging that still exists today.  If you are looking to fill out your weekend with a Sunday challenge, the second leg of the Oregon Triple Crown, West Coast Gravl,  takes place with a start in Yachats just six miles away.   

This endurance event on the first weekend in May showcases the raw beauty of ancient Siuslaw National Forests, rural Oregon coastal communities,  and some of its seriously stout hills. At 60 miles and 6677 ft of elevation gain, the Abomination route more than lives up to its name and will take anywhere from 3.5-7 hrs, depending on your fitness.  The Son of Abomination is shorter at 37 miles but still physically demanding with 3,740 ft of elevation gain and will take anywhere from 2.5 to 4 hrs.  The Gravel is 3/4 inch and larger for 65% of the course.  Prepare for anything, including steep sections, with your gear choices.  Some areas are smooth but have moss and pine needles that can be slick if you veer off the established track.

The event is well supported with frequent well-stocked aid stations and SAG support.  For seven of the past eight years, the first weekend in May has been 60 or warmer; however, in the event of poor weather, the course(s) will set up cold weather stations to get you to the finish line.  Recommended lodging options include the Overleaf Lodge and Spa (mention event for discount) and family owned Sweet Home Vacation Rentals .  There are camping options at the KOA Waldport, McKinnley’s RV Park, and Alsea River Marina. Before or after the race, enjoy exploring the variety of activities that the coastal community of Waldport, Oregon has to offer. 

Mudslinger Events are producing this event in cooperation with the communities of Waldport and Yachats on the central Oregon Coast and with the support of The Peoples Coast.  Mudslinger Events produces the  Triple Crown series and several other high-quality events in the Northwest.  The organization was founded in 2003, inspired by a love for connecting people and organizing events for competition or showcasing the unique places in Oregon and beyond for a good outdoor day. The Oregon Triple Crown Series includes five events from April to July: Oregon Coast Gravel Epic, West Coast Gravel, Oregon Gran Fondo, Sasquatch Duro, and Takelma Gravel Grinder. People interested in participating can register for each event separately or benefit from the OTC Series Pass, which includes price discounts, bike accessories, and prizes associated with the timed-event awards.

Mudslinger also produces the Oregon XC Series, six premier Oregon MTB events spanning April to September.  The Oregon XC Series includes Mudslinger XC, Sisters Stampede, Oregon 24/12, High Cascades 100, and Ring of FireStrambecco rates many of these events as the Best Gravel Cycling Events in Oregon 2022-2023 as well as the Best Gravel Cycling Events in the Northwest 2022-2023.


View Reviews (0)

Leave a Review

Your email address will not be published.